CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, July 16, 2012

For Love of the Game

I love sports. It's in my blood. We all know I'm obsessed and probably know more about sports than most men.  Sick, I know, but I love it. I love the competition, the talent, the drama and suspense. I will watch almost anything competitive. Sam gets annoyed because he does not share in my passion (I should be the coolest wife, ever, right?), but I'm great to have on a battle of the sexes team. I can tear it up!  :) BUT I am so tired of seeing professional athletes mug shots. It seems like there is a new one every day. Seriously, can't you just keep it together? Can't you just stop and think what an idiot you are being and what young kid is going to see you acting like a complete idiot?  Is it really that hard? You are living your dream......some little kids dream, and all you can think about it partying and getting in your $75,000 car drunk, or hitting your wife or smoking the pot you can so easily afford. (sigh)  I know it's probably too much to ask.

Luckily there are a few who stand out. A few who truly are a great example to the kids idolizing them. A few that truly commit to improving their communities and helping those within it in need. Some that still kiss their mommas after every game. Some that stay out of trouble. Some that bring disadvantaged or terminally ill kids to the game and then continue that relationship after.  Some that truly love the game they play.  Some that would give up part of their own salaries to keep a teammate they know can continue to help their team be successful (instead of having an hour long ESPN special on where you will be headed next).  These are the stories I love. These are the athletes I wanna see win. Someone who respects the game that gave them success. Someone who realizes it can be gone in an instant and that who they are as a person is what will matter after their brief time on top. Someone who gets that they are a role model whether they want to be or not. Someone who is grateful. Someone who plays because it's their passion.  Someone who plays for love of the game.

0 comments: