This weekend we went on a little family trip up to Kansas City. We took advantage of the extended Kansas City Temple open house and headed up on Friday. It's about a 3 1/2-4 hour drive, so if you know me, you know I was not wearing my church clothes for that long in the car. So, we stopped at Applebee's for lunch and to change our clothes. We really don't go out to eat very often (except when we are in Oklahoma and are spoiled by our family), so the kids loved getting to eat out a few times.
After lunch we headed over to the Temple open house. It really is gorgeous. We had this awesome couple, the Cooper's, as our guides and they did a great job taking our group through. We didn't even have to wait in line too long! In the meetinghouse across the street from the temple is where the tour started. We went into a room and watched a short video on the importance of Temples. I particularly loved the part where Elder Holland talked about how heaven would not be heaven for him without his wife. You could hear in his voice and see in his eyes that he absolutely meant it, and how important those sealing powers are that the Temple blesses us with. There was no doubt the love he had for his wife and that Eternity was the only option for him. Forever. I can't express the love I felt walking through the temple with my two kids, knowing they had been sealed to me for time and eternity. Letting them see the peace and beauty of the temple, and how they felt being in it. Sitting in the celestial room with my family and allowing my kids to feel the special spirit in that room was priceless. How can I possibly teach them any better than what they were experiencing first hand. It was a great time. We we so blessed to able to take our kids so they could see what they are striving for. THAT'S where they need to be headed.
| My favorite pic I took of the temple. |
| I love how the church almost ALWAYS has an American Flag flying. |
![]() |
| I don't know if it is, but Angel Moroni looks huge on this temple!! |
After we left the temple, we headed over to the Liberty Jail. This is where Joseph Smith and others were wrongfully held in jail for 4 months. It's amazing that the church has just completely built around it. What a sacred place. So much of the D&C was written there, and I know testimonies were certainly tried during that time.
| The very small jail. They were mostly kept down in the basement where it was later used as an ice box, if that gives you any idea how cold it was down there. |
| Here is the door to the jail. This is a replica. |
After Liberty Jail we decided to go check in our hotel and then find some dinner and a Target. While checking in, an older man walked up behind us and asked if he could show us a trick. He proceeded to show us lots of coin tricks. Parker was amazed! Then I started to notice lots of clowns walking around. There was a clown convention at the the hotel!! We shared an elevator with a weird lady clown. I think she was trying to be funny for the kids, but she wasn't funny at all, and they were not amused. Sorry clown. (Parker has since learned his own coin trick.....thanks Sis Belt, and loves to show it off!) We got settled in and headed over to Target and found a Longhorn Steakhouse across the street. It was SOOOOOO good. My steak was delicious and I really enjoyed eating it!! :)
| mooing, but scrumptious! |
| Poor Aileen. |
After our leisurely stroll around Target we headed back to the hotel and bed.
| Very sleepy kids, ready for day 2 tomorrow! |
Saturday morning we got up early and headed up to Adam-Ondi-Ahmen. I guess I didn't really know what to expect, but oh my goodness, I loved it. It's just beautiful. I can't even really explain the feeling there. Absolute peace. Sacred. It had a much different feel, for me, than even the Temple. When I think about all that happened there and all that will happen there it amazes me. I loved this place and wish I could go there all the time.
After Adam-Ondi-Ahmen we headed over to Far West. This is a dedicated temple site. The early saints were only able to lay the cornerstones before they were driven away, and those cornerstones are still there, preserved under glass. The spirit of this place was also amazing. I loved how when you walk through the gate onto the property, you can feel it. Again, peace is the best word I can think of.
| one of the cornerstones |
| I loved that this was on the wall. It's our mutual theme for the year! |
We headed to Independence after visiting a really nice bookstore down the road from Far West. (The lady in there was so nice and it was a beautifully kept store.) So the first thing you see driving into Independence is the Community of Christ temple spire. I have to tell you. I don't mean to talk negatively about another religion, and that's not my intent. I'm just comparing. To me, this building was just that. A building. No beauty. No majesty. No beckoning. It's dull grey color was not inviting, and obviously for me, it had no appeal.
Our last stop before heading home was the visitor's center in Independence. It was really awesome inside. They had a whole interactive room where adults and kids alike can watch videos on different topics. In the lower floor they had a presentation of church history. They also had an art exibit by Liz Lemon Swindle.
| This is one of my favorite paintings ever. Isn't that how we all hold our babies? I have always loved this. |
We had such a great time. We rarely do stuff like this, so it was special. It was so fun spending time together in the Temple and strengthening our testimonies. Even little Parker could feel the special places we visited. I'm so glad we took the time to do this while we are so close. Next stop....Navuoo!!
.jpg)

1 comments:
I love your post! and Of course I love to see all your pictures of my favorite places. It looks like you guys had a great time! I'll have to get that info for the bookstore you stopped at, I've never seen it before.
Post a Comment